Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ingrid Wilhite, Jan. 15, 2008


Oh, Ingrid. Sweet, dear, funny, smart Ingrid. My first girlfriend when I was 15 years old. I was her first girlfriend. We came out together, just two baby dykes in Kuna, Idaho, who somehow found each other and never let go. We made each other brave.

Ingrid was my close friend for 31 years. Her birthday is my wedding anniversary with my partner Susan. I told Ingrid things no one else knew, and together we experienced that passionate, dramatic love that you only have with your first. And now that space is empty and the loss feels so large, so profound.

What a loss, what a waste. She was so creative, so funny, so unique. And I was so proud of her for the way she made her way in the world, for the way she created her own life. Right now, today, I cannot imagine the world without her.

I expect to see you again someday, Ingrid, to laugh at our former selves and to feel proud at how strong we were at such a young age.

Safe journey, old friend. I hope that heaven is made of cats and that every one of them is surrounding you with love. I send my love to you, too, dear dear Ingrid. I miss you.
--Caren Crockett

3 comments:

md said...

Well, Pal...it was another year in Vegas. I remember you with all your junk food to help you through the long nights and into the mornings. I had to call on you to help me edit this year. And you did. I'll never be the editor you were. But always inspired by you, I ask, "What would Ingrid do?" I miss you my friend. There is no one like you. You live on still. I miss you Ingrid. md

Anonymous said...

David Bowie has died Ingrid. Do you remember going to see him in 1983 in Oakland...... He was unique and we felt some kinship with him. He was singing Lets Dance and Chinagirl by then......I liked Ziggy Stardust but you have to go to new things....Goodbye David....and thank you.

bt said...

10 years ago....and more.....miss you...saw Grace Jones movie and thought of you and Todd Hartman!