Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Will We Do Without Ingrid?

What will we do without Ingrid?

This is what my partner Esther and I have been asking each other these past few days.

Ingrid was brilliant, funny, kind, and generous. Always ready to laugh and play. Her campy sensibility went right to my heart and made a home there.

I have so many memories of fun times with Ingie aka The Schnittmeister. She was in our little guerilla video gang with myself, Amy Boyd, Margo Dean and a few other gals of the comedy and woman loving persuasion. Amy and I would come up with some silly idea and Ingrid would jump right in and make it sillier and better. Ingrid was simply brilliant at putting ideas on film--whether it was stuff she wrote herself or other people's work. She knew how to get in there and make it real. I still remember the days when we were working on our "A Religious Experience" video and I jokingly asked her if she could make our "nuns" shoot up out of the ground. Before I could actually finish the sentence, lo and behold she had figured out how to do it! She was also the only woman (through the magic of editing) able to give my boobs their own sound effects "boing, boing, boing."

Random fun memories:

Ingrid playing the accordion while Amy (dressed in full cow costume) sang Cow Cow Boogie and I (dressed in full cowgirl drag) milked Amy's "teats" during the dance break.
(All done at Ingrid's request. She even loaned me her jar of udder balm so it would be more authentic!)

Ingrid "flipping" the cow picture back and forth in our video while we sat in the editing suite with her laughing until our cheeks hurt.

Ingrid and I swapping farm girl stories (as you can see from memories above we were both a little obsessed with cows)--favorite phrase, "you little heifer."

I'll miss you something fierce Ingrid and love you always.

--Karla Carmony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ingrid and I were the "Founding Parents" of THE GERTRUDE STEIN MEMORIAL FILM SOCIETY...with her filming, and me being permanently silly and/or finding the oddness that Ingie wanted. I'll always love and miss her; now, I just need copies of the GSMFS movies we made.

I love you, Ingrid.

CC said...

Wow, I remember GSMFS...haven't thought about that in about a billion years. Thanks for reminding me.